Wednesday, April 8, 2015

More games for number recognition

I'm not normally a New Entrant teacher, but since my school made Maths Cafe a schoolwide initiative I teach every student in school.  I was at a bit of a loss to begin with (the rugrats have never been a big part of my teaching experience up until now, beyond singing practises!) but I went to an awesome workshop at the 10th Teachers Matter conference in January, led by the very talented Libby Slaughter, and I haven't looked back since!
Here are some of the games I have made this term - they're all very simple, but were designed to reinforce the connection between words, symbols and amounts.
First you match the cups (digits) with their plate (words)

Then you put the right number of pompoms in each cup.

This game can be extended by using plastic cutler as well - I have a knife with dots on and a fork with the digit at the top and the word on the handle that go with each plate.  Put them all together and call it "Lay the table" - our NE class love it!
I also have a game called "Peg the petals", which is also very simple.  Each flower has the digit on one leaf and the word on the other.  Children put the correct number of pegs around the circle to act as petals on the flower.  They can check each other's work to make sure they are correct, and there is lots of potential for aural counting as this happens.  Once the pegs are on you could order the flowers or talk about odd and even numbers (2 colours of pegs work well for this).



   


For numbers larger than 10 it may be easier to use those little wooden pegs you can get in packs where they sell craft things,  (I got some from our local gold coin shop)  but they can be more difficult for little fingers to manipulate.


No comments:

Post a Comment