Friday, March 6, 2015

Maths cafe introductory workshop

I ran a workshop this week for the APs and DPs in the NZEI Whanganui branch, introducing them to the idea of Maths Cafe.  We only had a small group, but it was fun, and I've warned my class to expect quite a few visitors later on this term, and into next term, as people come to see Maths Cafe in action.
It did mean taking a day out of school, but I've found an awesome reliever to work in my classroom, and the children had a good day with her.
I also think it's important to refresh ourselves regularly, and doing workshops for teachers is one of the ways I do that.  The networking was fabulous and the level of support for each other was really good to see.  Management can be a lonely place as you are the rock for everyone else, and it's encouraging to know that in Whanganui our APs and DPs are forming a supportive group to share and learn together.
There is more information about this workshop in the blogs on my website:
www.willoweducation.co.nz
See you there!

4 comments:

  1. I do something similar but this year I have moved down a few levels and it's not working as well. I might try the whole cafe and menu thing as my class loves anything to do with food. I would be interested to look at how you plan, the learning pathways the kids use and your record keeping. Is it possible you do posts on these at a later date?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly will be doing posts on these Kristen... probably over the Easter non-contact time. I'm currently cleaning a few templates so that personal information is not on them and students can't be identified..... can never be too careful!
    Where are you based? It is possible that I can come and run a workshop near you - it's so much easier to get the full picture in person rather than just through social media!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how we can continue our learning through teaching others and clearly you are doing a great job of this in a variety of forums. Thank you for sharing and learning alongside the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Meg. I love learning, and get so excited about it that I can't help sharing!

    ReplyDelete